Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cemetery to City Honors:

Timeline of how a piece of land used as a cemetery eventually became the home to City Honors (grades 5-12)



            William Hodge owned a farm lot from the Holland Land Purchase
1832    Asiatic Cholera Epidemic brought over from Europe struck Buffalo causing the need for more burial space for the dead. A cemetery was established on site
1886    The cemetery fell into disuse and was closed.  The graves were relocated to Forest Lawn and the site became known as Masten Park after Buffalo’s 1st Democratic Mayor
1895    The architect firm that designed the Brisbane Building, M.E. Beebe and Son, designed the castle-like Masten Park High School. The building was constructed on the highest ground in the city and became known as “the school on the hill”  
1912    The building caught fire which led to it being razed. This event led to the rekindling of the legend that the school was cursed for being built on a cemetery
1914    A new school building was opened on the site. The building plans were adapted from Lafayette High School
1927    Masten Park HS was renamed Fosdick-Masten Park HS
1953    The high school closed its doors that Spring due to declining student population from suburbanization, but in the fall it reopened as a Vocational HS
1979    Slipping numbers caused their doors to close and the school became a department warehouse and was scheduled for demolition
1980    City Honors came to the rescue when they found the demand to expand and the building became its new home. The board continues to upgrade the facility.             

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Buffalo, NY
As a child, I liked to explore and be adventurous. Those attributes have followed me into adulthood. Every opportunity I get, I am engaged in what my beloved city has to offer. Buffalo is my playground! I was raised in a suburb of the city. I graduated from West Seneca East Senior High School in 2001 where I proceeded to go Medaille College where I earned a Bachelors of Science in Education. Within months I got a job teaching at a Charter School. I have had the wonderful privilege of teaching 4th and 2nd grade. In addition, I attend Buffalo State College where I am obtaining a Masters Degree in Education. My passion is history and more specifically, Buffalo History. When I am finished with my Masters, I intend on continuing my education to be able to proceed with all of my desired endeavors! Who knows, one day you may be voting for Danielle Huber for Mayor!